Subscribe

Gunshots Ring Out Near White House, Triggering Emergency Lockdown

Date:

Dozens of shots were reported outside the White House complex on Saturday evening, sending Secret Service agents rushing journalists to safety and placing the entire compound under lockdown.

Breaking News  · May 23, 2026 · Updated 11:15 PM EDT

Washington D.C. – The White House was thrown into chaos Saturday evening as what witnesses described as dozens of gunshots erupted near the complex, jolting journalists, security personnel, and officials into a rapid, tense emergency response that unfolded live before a watching nation.

Reports of gunfire began flooding in around 6 p.m. Eastern Time, with multiple news correspondents stationed on the North Lawn describing a sudden and terrifying barrage. The U.S. Secret Service confirmed it was investigating shots fired at the corner of 17th Street and Pennsylvania Avenue Northwest, just outside the White House perimeter. Law enforcement vehicles flooded the scene within minutes.

“I was in the middle of taping on my iPhone for a social video from the White House North Lawn when we heard the shots. It sounded like dozens of gunshots. We were told to sprint to the press briefing room where we are holding now.”

That account came from ABC News senior White House correspondent Selina Wang, whose words captured the panic of a scene that unfolded without warning. Reporters on the North Lawn were ordered by agents to run immediately into the press briefing room, where they were told to shelter in place. Inside, Secret Service personnel stood guard with guns drawn, shouting warnings of shots fired as colleagues scrambled for cover.

Fox News reporters embedded in the press pool estimated as many as 30 shots were fired. An NBC News team put the figure at between 20 and 30 rounds. One reporter noted the sounds appeared to originate from the side of the complex housing the Eisenhower Executive Office Building, though no official confirmation of the exact location was immediately provided.

FBI Director Kash Patel confirmed on X that both the FBI and the Secret Service had responded to the scene. The Secret Service also posted on X that it was actively working to corroborate information with personnel on the ground. No injuries or suspect details had been officially released as of the time of publication.

The incident comes less than a month after a separate and deeply alarming security breach at the White House Correspondents’ Dinner, where a suspect later identified as Cole Tomas Allen sprinted through a security checkpoint with a shotgun, exchanging fire with agents. Allen has since pleaded not guilty to charges including attempted assassination of the president. Saturday’s shooting adds to a growing string of security incidents that have raised urgent questions about threats to the seat of American power.

Authorities have not confirmed whether the Saturday evening gunfire was directed at the White House or connected to any broader threat. The situation remained active and evolving as law enforcement worked to secure the area and determine the origin and intent behind the shots. Global Echoes will continue to update this story as information becomes available.

LEAVE A REPLY

Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here

Share post:

Subscribe

New updates

More like this
Related

USCIS Green Card Updates: America Closes the Door from...

A sweeping new rule forces green card applicants out...

The Beijing Pivot: How Trump’s China Visit May Have...

Donald Trump returned from Beijing this week having claimed...

They are running out of food and water’: ten...

Secretary of State Rubio confirms at least ten civilian...

Iran fires on US warships as Trump’s ‘Project Freedom’...

Tehran claims two missiles struck a US destroyer; Washington...