Subscribe

BIYA READMITTED TO GENEVA CLINIC AFTER HEART SURGERY

Date:

GLOBAL ECHOS CAN CONFIRM THE WORLD’S OLDEST HEAD OF STATE UNDERWENT INVASIVE CARDIAC SURGERY, WAS BRIEFLY DISCHARGED, AND WAS RUSHED BACK TO THE CLINIC ON SUNDAY NIGHT. 73 DAYS. NO RETURN DATE. NO PLAN.

GLOBAL ECHOS | EXCLUSIVE INVESTIGATION  |  AUGUST 19, 2026 | EXCLUSIVE

Global Echos can today reveal that Paul Biya, President of the Republic of Cameroon, underwent invasive open-heart surgery at a private clinic in Geneva, Switzerland, in the weeks following his departure from Yaoundé on June 7, 2026. Our source, with direct knowledge of the president’s medical situation, has confirmed that Biya was discharged from the clinic last week, briefly raising expectations among his inner circle that a return to Cameroon was imminent. Those expectations were extinguished on Sunday night, August 16, when the president was readmitted to the same clinic. As of the time of publication, he remains there. He has now been absent from Cameroon for 73 consecutive days, the longest unbroken absence of his 44-year presidency. He has not been seen in public since May 20.

The disclosure makes the Cameroonian government’s official position not merely evasive but demonstrably false. On June 18, Communications Minister René Emmanuel Sadi issued a written communiqué describing reports of hospitalisation as “malicious and unfounded,” stating that the president’s health “does not require any particular medical care.” On August 3, Sadi told Radio France Internationale that Biya was alive, well, in Geneva, and would return “very soon.” He did not confirm whether the president was in a hotel or a clinic and declined to provide a date. A Labour minister, in perhaps the most tone-deaf contribution of this entire episode, described the two-month absence as “annual leave to which any worker is entitled.” The ruling CPDM party’s communication apparatus, on July 15, declared that “the Lion has not left.”

Open-heart surgery on a 93-year-old patient is not a routine procedure. The recovery timeline for invasive cardiac intervention at that age is measured in months, not days. The fact that Biya was discharged last week and readmitted days later is consistent with the post-operative complications that cardiac surgeons routinely flag as highest-risk in elderly patients: arrhythmia, fluid accumulation, infection, respiratory distress. It is not consistent with the picture of a president resting comfortably between meetings at the InterContinental Geneva that the government has allowed people to believe. As Global Echos first reported in June, a medical aircraft staged in Equatorial Guinea for discretion before waiting five days on the Nsimalen tarmac. That was not the logistical footprint of a man going for a check-up. It was the footprint of a medical evacuation managed around political optics. The surgery confirms what those logistics already suggested.

“He was discharged last week. He was readmitted Sunday night. The government said he would return “very soon” sixteen days ago. The world’s oldest head of state has not been seen in public in 91 days.”

The readmission on August 16 dissolves whatever remained of the government’s narrative of imminent return and sharpens, to an acute point, the constitutional question that Cameroon’s political class has spent ten weeks refusing to answer publicly. Under the current constitution, a presidential vacancy triggered by death, resignation, or permanent incapacity is filled on an interim basis by the President of the Senate, who must then organise a presidential election within 120 days. The previous Senate President, Marcel Niat Njifenji, died on April 11, 2026, just weeks before Biya left the country. His successor, Aboubakary Abdoulaye, assumed the post in March 2026. It is Abdoulaye who would, under the constitution as it stands today, become interim head of state if Biya’s condition is formally declared a permanent incapacity or if he dies. That is a constitutional line of succession. What it is not is a political settlement. Cameroon has no vice president. The office created by constitutional amendment in April 2026 remains unfilled.

Opposition voices have grown more explicit as the absence has lengthened. Mamadou Mota, vice-president of the Cameroon Renaissance Movement, described the situation as a “glaring institutional vacuum” as early as July. Patricia Tomaino Ndam Njoya, president of the Cameroon Democratic Union, called formally on the government to establish “an impartial procedure for determining the temporary or permanent incapacity” of the head of state, a mechanism that does not currently exist in Cameroonian law. Roger Justin Noah of the MRC went further, stating that if Biya is facing health issues, “the Cameroonian people have a right to know; there is no reason to maintain ambiguity.” These are not radical demands. They are the minimum expectations of constitutional governance, and they have gone entirely unanswered.

The absence has not produced political stillness in Yaoundé. It has produced the opposite. The factional conflict between Chantal Biya’s network and the circle around Franck Emmanuel Biya moved from back-channel manoeuvre to open confrontation on June 22, when forged presidential decrees were carried to the state broadcaster CRTV in an attempt to manufacture a succession fait accompli. The subsequent investigation, which Global Echos reported in detail, has targeted Oswald Baboke, deputy director of the Civil Cabinet and a pillar of the First Lady’s network, in circumstances that multiple analysts have described as a political setup rather than a genuine criminal investigation. The readmission of Biya on Sunday night will not slow that conflict. It will accelerate it. When the patient’s condition worsens unexpectedly, factions that were circling become factions that are moving.

There is a dimension to this story that Cameroon’s government would prefer to remain unexamined. The president of the Republic is receiving care at a private Swiss clinic that represents the highest tier of cardiovascular medicine available anywhere in the world. Cameroon spent 3.9 percent of GDP on healthcare in 2022, far below the 15 percent African governments pledged at the 2001 Abuja Declaration. Households in Cameroon cover nearly 72 percent of the country’s total health financing out of pocket. A cluster of patient deaths in May 2026 led the National Order of Physicians to raise a formal alarm about conditions in Cameroonian public hospitals. The man whose government produced those numbers is being kept alive by Swiss cardiac surgeons. The gap between the medical care available to Paul Biya and the medical care available to the Cameroonians he governs is not incidental. It is the most precise physical expression of what 44 years of his rule has meant in practice. It is the gold sector’s missing billions rendered in a hospital bed.

Observers with long experience of Cameroonian palace politics have pointed to a specific personnel move made during the absence as the most telling signal of the anxiety inside the system. Raymond Jean Charles Beko’o Abondo, commander of the presidential guard since 2013, was promoted and immediately reappointed to his post during Biya’s time in Geneva. Rewarding the man who controls physical access to the head of state, while that head of state is unseen in a foreign clinic, is not routine. It is insurance. Biya himself made the same calculus in August 2023, when he reshuffled the defence ministry within hours of Gabonese soldiers removing Ali Bongo, touching the air force, navy and police commands in a single day. He understood then that the praetorian guard is the hinge of survival. Someone in Yaoundé is applying that lesson now, in his name, while he recovers from cardiac surgery in Geneva.

Cameroon is not the first African state to find itself in this position. The continent has watched Bouteflika govern Algeria from a wheelchair until his generals finally moved against him. It watched Bongo attempt to project vitality after a stroke in Gabon until the army ended the pretence. It has watched, as Global Echos has documented across its Africa coverage, how the personalisation of power in systems built around a single ruler creates the precise vulnerability that is now visible in Yaoundé: when the person at the centre of everything is incapacitated, the centre does not hold. What distinguishes the Cameroonian case from those precedents is the layered complexity of the crisis. There is a disputed election result with Issa Tchiroma’s unresolved claim. There is an active separatist war in the Anglophone regions that has killed more than 6,000 people. There is a gold sector haemorrhaging hundreds of millions annually through ungoverned corridors. There is a succession architecture that created an office and left it empty. And there is a 93-year-old man who has just been readmitted to a Geneva cardiac clinic for the second time in ten weeks, while his government tells the world he is coming home very soon.

The Lion has not left, the party said. The Lion has not returned either. What is left, in the absence of both clarity and leadership, is a country of 30 million people waiting for a truth its government has decided they do not deserve to know.

Global Echos submitted detailed questions to the Presidency of the Republic, the Ministry of Communications, and the Office of the Senate President. No responses were received at time of publication. Our source spoke on condition of strict anonymity given the sensitivity of their position.

Sources: Global Echos investigation • Jeune Afrique • RFI • CNN • The Washington Post • The Africa Report • Africanews • Pan African Visions • Vanguard • SBM Intelligence • The Africana Voice • Britannica 

LEAVE A REPLY

Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here

Share post:

Subscribe

New updates

More like this
Related

Epstein Files: The Files That Will Not Die. New...

A federal court has ordered the Trump administration to...

EU Fines Google One Billion Dollars for Breaking the...

Brussels hands Google its first ever DMA penalty, and...

South Africa’s March And March Protests Push Immigration to...

JOHANNESBURG, June 30, 2026: South Africa’s anti-immigration “March and...

THE FAKE DECREE, OSWALD BABOKE:THE MAN THEY WANT TO...

INSIDE THE CRTV FAKE DECREE SCANDAL THAT HAS EXPOSED...